Thursday, October 19, 2017

Reaction, part 2

Yesterday I told you about my allergic reaction/anaphylactic shock.  While we were still in the ER, I was asking Ryan to send texts for me.  I asked him to let Laci know that I wasn't sure how I'd feel in the morning and that I'd need someone to cover for me at our Forney campus.  I really did not understand what had happened to me or what the fall out would be.

We slept in Sunday morning and then Ryan went to get my medicine.  They filled the steroid script, sent off for the Epi Pen and pointed him to over the counter Benadryl and Pepcid because our insurance would not pay for the prescription versions.  I don't think I mentioned yesterday that I received Pepcid in the ER.  The doctor explained that it's a blocker and it can also act as a antihistamine.  Zac started allergy shots this summer and we have to give him Pepcid before the shots but I just figured it was in case the shot upset his stomach.  It's actually a back up for Benadryl.

I slept most of the day Sunday.  My left eye did not open until after 8 pm - a full 24 hours after the initial incident.  I don't remember much of Sunday.  I have a selfie that I took in my home office so apparently I did some kind of work.

I got up Monday and went to work - sans makeup.  I think it's safe to say that my coworkers were horrified at my face.  I just thought, my eyes are open I'm good.  That lasted about 30 minutes.  Without the Benadryl my eye started to close so I went home.  Here's what I looked like before I left work...
That Monday was Columbus Day or Indigenous People Day, whichever you prefer. So my doctor was out.  Her practice has a policy that after an ER visit you can only see her or her assistant.  I made an appointment for Tuesday morning, took some Benadryl and drifted off.   Looking back on my texts, it's clear that I thought I'd go to the doctor Tuesday morning and be back to work Tuesday afternoon.

The trouble with that plan was that I kept getting a low fever.

My momma took me to the doctor Tuesday.  She said they did everything she would have done.  She wanted to make sure I had an Epi Pen.  I told her one had been ordered and would be there Tuesday afternoon.  We talked about what might have done this to me.  The ER doc thought something flew in my eye and stung me.  My doctor agreed.  She gave me a referral to Zac's allergist but also warned that we might never know what caused it.  Oh joy!

By the time Momma brought me home, I was toast.  Momma wanted to get me lunch. I didn't want to get out of the car.  As soon as we pulled in, the elementary school called to say that B had thrown up.  I didn't even entertain the idea that I would go get him.  I asked Momma to go.

Ryan brought home the Epi Pen Tuesday and everyone got to learn to use it on me.  This is when the gravity of the situation really sunk in.  I powered through but it was VERY upsetting to me.  I've cried relaying this part of the story to people.  I'm supposed to be the caregiver but here I am explaining to my boys how to save my life.

I went to work on Wednesday.  I do not remember one thing.  I only remember texting Ryan to say here are all the things I'm responsible for Wednesdays after school, I can't do any of them.  He took care of everything.  I went home as soon as the last bell rang.  I didn't sleep well that night.  My heart felt heavy.  I could feel it beating really hard in my chest.  Not fast, just hard.  And I couldn't get comfortable.

we had a Fair Food day at school Thursday
you can see the swelling in my neck here
I look like a have a huge double chin
I also worked on Thursday.  I don't remember much of that day either. I called the doctor about my heart.  She said that was a side effect of the steroid.  I only had one pill left so I stopped taking it.  I had a meeting at the administration building with the principals, assistant principals and other district level personnel.  When we got to the meeting room, I looked at my AP and said "I'm winded".  I got so flushed and light headed.  I thought I would pass out.  I excused myself and splashed water on my face.  I remember most of that meeting.  Thankfully, Zac didn't have a football game Thursday night.  Straight home to bed again.

Thursday afternoon I decided I would work half a day Friday.  I felt okay at home Friday morning. I was able to do some things around the house and rest.  But by the time I got to school, I was spent again.  We had a pep rally and students vs staff volleyball game at the end of the day.  Ryan came to watch Zac play in the game.  I met him in the gym.  I had been feeling woozy all day.  My left arm was numb and bothering me as well.  As soon as I sat down in the gym, I thought I was going to throw up.  I rushed out and spent the game in my office with the lights off.

I wasn't able to go to Sam's football game Friday night.  B & I stayed home and listened to the internet broadcast.  I slept on and off.  Saturday Zac had a baseball tournament.  I did not leave the house.  I cycled between the couch, the bed and the bathtub.  I felt dizzy and nauseous all day.  But my arm didn't feel numb or hurt.  This is a big deal for me.  I like to be at the boys' games if at all possible.  I once went to a baseball game feeling so bad that I eventually went to the ER - I had 2 ovarian cysts and a kidney stone.

I taught at both campuses Sunday then came home and rested.  Again, I felt dizzy a lot.

The best way to describe how I felt was foggy.  I just couldn't concentrate.  I've been to work everyday this week.  It's Wednesday night right now.  Today was a good day.  I've felt most like my old self today.  I suspect it will continue to get better each day.  I only had a little bit of a headache today and not as much brain fog.  I've been tired earlier in the evenings this week but that's improving as well.

The swelling moved from my eyes down my face all last week.  My hands and feet were swollen until Tuesday as well.  I've been able to wear my regular wedding ring Tuesday and Wednesday.  Last week I couldn't even wear a diamond band of my momma's that a full size bigger than my rings. 

As I said, the gravity of the situation didn't really sink in until well into it.  Now that I'm feeling better, I think I realize how bad I felt.  I wish I knew why I thought I could go to work on Monday.  In hindsight, I should probably have stayed home Wednesday or the entire day Friday at the least.  It was hard not knowing what to expect and something different bothering me each day.

It's hard not knowing what did this to me.  Thursday night will be the first time I spend any time outside when I go to Zac's football game.  I'm not going to lie, I'm a little nervous.  But I can't let fear rule.  I have the Epi Pen in my purse.  All my important people know how to use it.  I'm going to try to get back to my active momma lifestyle. 

No comments :